Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

You know, when I first started this blog, I had hoped it would be relevant, theological, thoughtful and reflective. I had intended for it to be a meeting of like minds, where art and culture would be discussed. I had hoped for pithy insights, profundity, and for it to be graced with a soupcon (imagine the accent agrave on that last word. I can't find how to insert it on this blog) of satirical wit.

I, alas, have failed in this regard.

I say this as a preamble, just to show how far departed I am from the lofty goals I had set forth above.

As a general rule, I hate television. It is one of the greatest thieves in our lives, robbing us of our time, a rich inner thought life, and yada yada yada.

Okay. Essentially, it's crap. To prove it, tonight a new reality show is premiering, entitled 'I Survived a Japanese Game Show'. It's a reality show where brain dead Americans travel to Japan, try to survive living with each other AND making it through the manic, infantile machinations of... you guessed it... a Japanese game show.

However, one of the GREATEST all-time shows premiered just before it, called--------------

WIPEOUT!!!! Where buxom babes and middle-aged men spin on a wheel until dizzy and then make their way through an obstacle course. Where they leap over a phallic-shaped pink Nerf that circles them wildly, and if they get hit by it, THEY'RE KNOCKED IN THE WATER!!!!!!

Craziness! Madcap! Zany hilarity ensues!!!!!

But I have to admit, it was damned funny, and I intend to watch it again. It was like the other night when I was bored and watched Jackass 2, and liked it.

So I'm not as deep, intellectual nor certainly as interesting as I thought I was. But I think I have the strength to admit that now, and though TV certainly is a cultural wasteland, it is not without its rewards. So, here is a list of guilty pleasures (TV shows) that hereby disqualify me as an intellectual:

- The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
- Lost
- (I hate to admit this one, but I dig the challenges and the utter sniping) Survivor
- Football
- American Gladiators (Only the end, when they do the Eliminator. The rest is dull)
- Wipeout (Snide comments from commentators and people getting whacked. BEAT THAT,
INDIE FILM PRODUCTION COMPANIES!)
- The Amazing Race (Watching couples' relationships implode while in Kenya is just fun)

*Sigh* I'll turn in my 'Semi-sentient' membership at the door.

4 comments:

skroll said...

You are far more relevant, theological, thoughtful and reflective than I am and yet you watch more tv than I do, so go figure...

Anonymous said...

Folks, you should have seen this man laugh during Jackass. At one point, he laughed harder than I have ever seen him in 4 years together. I didn't find the particular skit funny, but I laughed so hard because he was.

Wife

Platypus King said...

Hey Skroll! You forget one key thing: you have a beautiful kid, on top of a job and a husband, so how time do you really have to watch TV? You just watch... once the pup is born, I'll be coming to you for advice!

By the way, when are YOU going to start blogging? :) I look forward to moving closer to you guys, so Erin can see you more often, and I can meet Thomas and Erica!

Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Another good show is REscue Me. And you can Rent the first three seasons of Deadwood.