Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Light... Don't Go Towards the Light!!!

Whoever coined the phrase 'a light at the end of the tunnel' ought to be spanked, because it's a phrase that gives hope to the listener.

In actual fact, however, that 'light at the end of the tunnel' can sometimes be an oncoming train.

For those who have been keeping 'up' on things, you may know that the last 4 months have been difficult for Salome and I. One issue after another has been piled on to our lives that have left us terrified and feeling as if we are without any mooring. And just when you think that things can't get any worse, they suddenly do.

Yesterday, I joined the ranks of the rising percentage of unemployed workers in America, adding that little tidbit to our ever growing pile of worries. And this one... it's a doozy. Yup, that light at the end of a tunnel WAS a train.

But here's the thing: I'm suddenly not scared anymore.

The night before receiving this ghastly news, Salome and I had a shocking fight that was several months overdue. No need to go into the details, other than to say that I had been a complete and utter ass over the past four months- right at the time when my wife needed me the most. During these last four months, I have been angry, resentful, and most of all, terrified. This has caused me to withdraw into my own self. She has felt the exact same way during this time, which caused her to reach out for a husband who wasn't there.

But before coming to this realization, as we stood there yelling at one another, a sudden thought came rushing into my mind: what was this stress I was putting on Salome doing to the baby???

I suddenly became terrified and- in that instance, I believe- became a real father. She and I cried together that night, and held each other into the small hours of the morning.

So I awake, and begin work, only to get the call from my CEO with the news. Gut kick. Panic attack. I am pleased to report, however, that there was no shameless pleading.

Here's why: it is what it is. Externally we are at the mercy of circumstances: the economy, the culture, the decisions of those in authority. These are the things over which I have no control.

But I am not powerless, because there are things I CAN control: I can be a better person. I can be a better husband, a better expectant father. I CAN give my wife the love and support she deserves, and I can look for what is good in this 4 month package of what I had always thought was 'bad'. There is opportunity here, and in this time I can do the things that are right.

Although this is terrifying, this feeling of being cast adrift, perhaps there is one of the greatest blessings of all attached to it: time with my beautiful wife and growing child. To be there fully as a support and cognizant of the blessing that is coming. Perhaps this happened now so that I can fully participate in the things that really matter, being there and living in every moment.

I am sorry, Salome, for being so dense.

PS- I STILL hate trains, though.

3 comments:

Obi-Mac BakDon said...

This is a beautiful and honest post that will stay with you a long time (and me too).

As you know I have been "dead" many times...my sorryass carcass dragged off the battlefield, the last rites (or a kick in the dead ribs) administered...yet I remain by the grace of God...here.

send me an email with contact info for you and Salome so I can pay proper respects to your new child and also pray. Mac@azotuscafe.com

Salome said...

As terrifying as this is, I know it will pass. And the baby and I will be here always. Some days that thought might fill you with joy. Other days it will probably cause you to weep in despair. I doubt this is the last time we will fight, but I hope it is the last time we go through this kind of intense stress in individual, secluded hells. I have been incredibly selfish these last few months, and I'm so sorry for that. I love you, honey.

skroll said...

You guys are making me cry, over and over! Love you!